From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 6:16 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Opinions on Netbooks...

Hey list,

I'm curious if any of you have experience with a variety of netbooks.
I'm considering the purchase of one as my mobile troubleshooting
workstation, such as IP-Camera configuration, Network Device
configuration (over local serial port), etc.

Here's my questions: I don't think I'll be needing much CPU power, but
I'm curious if anybody noticed a speciffic level of processor that "is
too slow" or "start to feel functional." For example, will an old N230
work without unbearable sluggishness? What about the AMD Neo's? I plan
on running Windows 7.

Second, I'm weary of the 1024x600 screens that come on most netbooks.
the 10" screen physical size isn't a problem, but do you often run out
of screen real-estate with such a resolution? Maybe this one is in my
head. If so, let me know. I know that you can pay extra for a 1366x768
screen, but those usually get the netbook near the $500 mark... which is
what a cheap Notebook costs.

Last, I dislike the Acer's "flat keyboard". Any other brands have this
style of keys? I want a little definition between the keys for myself,
and would not want to end up with this.

Thanks for the opinions.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District