Have to admit I'm thoroughly confused by these.

I totally get the idea that if I buy a cert from Globalsign their CA is
what forms the "trust" so I need their CA installed on my PC.

Where I'm getting a bit lost is intermediate certificates.  More and
more vendors instruct you to install their intermediate cert on servers
that you install their certificate on to, however having just purchased
a wildcard cert from such a vendor, I'm a bit surprised that I've
imported it into a few servers and appliances (firewall for example) and
it works just fine, my browser doesn't complain and shows it's trusted.

I'm assuming this is because the server I'm installing the cert on must
already have the intermediate CA installed?

--
MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England
Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
VAT Registration  GB 114 5409 96

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and
notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax.  You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.