All good feedback... I sent this along to the devs.

From: David Mazzaccaro [mailto:david.mazzacc...@hudsonmobility.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:15 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: ESET vs VIPRE

 YUP >  A few machines had issues with the recent agent upgrade.  I had to
manually remove and reinstall VIPRE on 3 or 4.  An annoyance but relatively
minor.

 YUP >  I'm irritated that the installation of remote update servers want to
install SQL Server Express even though they don't need a database to hand out
definition updates.

 YUP > Overall, though, I'm satisfied with the level of protection, and also
with the ease of deployment and management.

I'll add that a few definition updates wrecked havoc: The notorious switch to
5000 version defs, the July '09 false positives on laptops, the 5486 definition
"file renaming" cluster #?^&
And just the overall massive size of the definition updates.

If you have remote offices, you'll likely want to set up remote update servers.
 The documentation on this is poor, but not awful.
For example, remote update servers require port 1434 to be open... but if you
search the knowledgebase on sunbeltsoftware.com for "1434"... you get nothing.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Chris Blair