From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:39 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: CASPOL docs for sysadmins?

Hi list,

  I've got a vendor who wants me to do this:

caspol.exe  -m -q -ag 1. -site "meters.example.com" FullTrust -name
FMAuditWebAudit

and then go to some web site, to run their managed print audit thingy.
 Can anyone tell me what that means, from a practical security
standpoint?  If it means "really bad idea" (e.g., the moral equivalent
of running as admin), is there a more reasonable alternative?

  I've done a Google, and found plenty of hits, but most of it seems to
be written for programmers.  It talks about publishing applications, and
signing code, etc., etc., none of which I'm involved with.  It all seems
to assume I'm the one designing the program, so I know exactly what it
needs to do, and I have all the details on things like what "code
groups" and "strong names" have been assigned.

  We all know we can't trust programmers to give us security advice.
If I did everything programmers told me to do, every user account on our
network would be a member of "Domain Admins".

  I'm willing to R a FM if someone can point me at one that's useful for
this situation.

  advTHANKSance!

-- Ben