From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: CASPOL docs for sysadmins?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Brian Desmond <br...@briandesmond.com> wrote:
> So what is the actual app ...

  From the logo at <http://meters.example.com/> (name changed to protect the
guilty), I gather it's called "FMAudit Central".  The original software
publisher appears to be http://www.fmaudit.com/, but they don't give you much
info.  I suspect they follow a tight channel sales model.

> ... what does it do?

  All I need and want it to do is read page counts from our various networked
printers (presumably via SNMP) and display the results.
Bonus points for coughing up a CSV list, but even HTML will do.

  The vendor is trying to sell us on managed print services (supplies and
maintenance, billed per page).

  For all I know, the thing can also feed the hungry, clothe the poor, and
create world peace, but all I want to do is get page counts without having to
log in to each printer's web UI every month.  :-)

  Or, if someone knows of another way to do this -- without buying someone
else's print management package, or installing their bloated print management
"server" -- I'm open to suggestions.  :)  I suppose the ideal thing would be a
command-line tool, which, given a printer hostname, will output out a page
count.  I could wrap that in a script easily.

-- Ben