On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Steve Kelsay <kels...@sctax.org> wrote:
> I see no copyright infringement if I
> use a legitimate original copy of a setup media to install a licensed
> copy of the software.

  One thing everyone should understand: What you or I think *should*
be the way things work doesn't matter.  I'm describing the law -- the
reality of the situation.

  Copyright law doesn't care that you had a license for your copy.  If
you and I both buy a copy of the same book, and you loose your copy, I
don't have the right to make a copy for you.  The same applies to
software or anything else protected under copyright law.

  If the license I have specifically grants me the right to make
copies for other people who also have a license to use the software,
that would be okay, but I've never heard of such a thing for payware,
and I would be quite astonished to learn of it.  Making copies for
others is usually explicitly forbidden, in very strong language.

  There is a copyright concept called "fair use".  For example, making
a backup copy for yourself is considered fair use.  Ripping a CD to
MP3 for use on your own MP3 player is considered fair use.  I suppose
you could argue me making a copy for you is "fair use", but I'd be
surprised if a court accepted that, especially in the current legal
climate.  That said, I'm haven't done a case law search.

  If people here don't like this, I suggest you write your
congressional representatives and ask them to consider the rights of
consumers as well as copyright holders.  I wouldn't hold out much hope
for that, though; the copyright cartels (RIAA, BSA, etc.) practically
own congress.

  Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I expect I have studied copyright
law more than most laymen.

-- Ben