I have seen this with both Apple and Win 7 products taking an IP and because
of the way the firewall was configured not responding to ping's or several
other products.  I was only able to trace it back to a machine by killing
switch ports one at a time and resetting DHCP until the offending machine
was off the network.  There had to be an easier way but I was at the time
just in too much of a hurry to get the job done to look another way.

Just for your info/laugh the the Win 7 machine was the management system and
took the least amount of time to find.  I was moving it from one subnet to
another then remoting back in and "discovered" that I had no problem.  Put
that machine back in the original subnet and problem came back.

Jon