Here's what I see so far today after going to the control panel and
selecting "Show hidden devices" - I don't think I'm seeing any ghost
NICs:

DC in AU office (Dell 1850 - seems to be replying to ARP for
192.168.61.31, but is 192.168.61.30):
   Direct Parallel
   Intel(R) Pro/1000 MT Network Connection
   Intel(R) Pro/1000 MT Network Connection #2 (disabled - this is the
one that picked up a DHCP address when plugged in)
   WAN Miniport (IP)
   WAN Miniport (L2TP)
   WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
   WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
   WAN Miniport (PPTP)

VM (on ESXi4 box) in AU office (refuses to accept 192.168.61.30, says
another machine has IP address):
   Direct Parallel
   Intel(R) Pro/1000 MT Network Connection
   WAN Miniport (IP)
   WAN Miniport (L2TP)
   WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
   WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
   WAN Miniport (PPTP)

VM (on ESX 3.5 box) in US office, has same MAC as DC in AU office.
Address is 192.168.10.82, has never had a 61.0/24 address, and isn't
seeing any ARP requests for it:
   Direct Parallel
   VMWare Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter
   WAN Miniport (IP)
   WAN Miniport (L2TP)
   WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
   WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
   WAN Miniport (PPTP)

I'm thinking of standing up a small XP VM, and assigning it the
problematic address, and see who answers.

Kurt