On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Mark Milo <markmilo2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - I am having issues with "disk busy' on my virtual server host. The
> host is a DL 580 connected via fiber to an EVA 4400 SAN.

Where do you see this message?  On the VM?

> I understand that guest VM's should have disk layouts as per an equivalent
> physical machine...

I don't really know what you mean by that.  Can you elaborate a bit?

> ...but is it best practice to have a separate LUN per guest VM?

Not that I've ever heard of.   You'd have a management nightmare on your
hands pretty quickly if you had a large number of VMs.

If so what should the max utilization of the disk on that LUN be?

I don't know of a hard and fast number/rule, but if you're using
snapshot-based backup method (such as VCB) you definitely need free space on
the LUNs for the snapshots to grow until the backup is finished and the
snapshots can be eliminated.

What virtualization platform are you running?  What version?