From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:03 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Recommendations for cheap and cheerful virtual server

SSDs…

Cheers

Ken

From: Erik Goldoff [mailto:egold...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 3 November 2010 8:56 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues

I might recommend that whatever ‘cheap’ hardware you find it has multiple
drive slots.  Dedicate a single drive to each VM as one thing I’ve found on
older/slower hardware is multiple VMs contending for the same disk IO could
become your obvious bottleneck regardless of installed memory and CPU.  I’ve
gotten better results with a single VM per volume/disk, at the very least to
avoid head thrash delays, and sometimes benefit from separate IO ( like with
multiple ESATA interfaces ) before it hits the mobo aggregation.

That said, I haven’t used a decent SCSI based array because it always added
too much $$$ to the ‘cheap’ test hardware.

Erik Goldoff

IT  Consultant

Systems, Networks, & Security

'  Security is an ongoing process, not a one time event ! '