From: Matthew W. Ross [mailto:mr...@ephrataschools.org]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 11:48 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Home Folder Permissions reset

Hey list,

I'm sure this is something that has been touched on before, but my quick
search through the list archives didn't get anything concrete...

I'm looking to lock down permissions on user home folders. I'm unsure on
how, but one user was able to access the contents of another and that
will have to be stopped ASAP. I'd like some help on what are the correct
permissions, as I have a few questions.

Let me explain what things are like currently. Right now, home folder
permissions are as follows:

There is a \\SERVER\Homes share. The _sharing_ permissions on this
folder is set to "Everyone" has Change, "Domain Admins" has Full
control.

Each user has a home folder under this share (i.e.:
\\SERVER\Homes\Username) with the following permissions:

DOMAN\Username has Modify
SERVER\Administrators has Full Control
SERVER\Users has Read and Execute[1]
SYSTEM has full control
CREATOR OWNER has no permissions

And now, several questions:

A) What are the correct sharing permissions? Should "Everyone" be
changed to "Domain Users"? Should Domain Admins not be in that list?

B) What is the SYSTEM permissions for? Is it needed?

C) SERVER\Administrators vs DOMAIN\Domain Admins... Which is more
appropriate?

I'm working on a script to reset these permissions, probably with
xcacls. I need to find my old cacls script first, or write it from
scratch. If somebody has a working script for this handy, I'd love a
copy.

[1] The SERVER\Users group appears to be part of my problem, as I didn't
intend for other users to be able to read and/or execute files on
another user's home folder, but this was an inherited permission I
missed.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District