From: James Winzenz [mailto:james.winz...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 12:26 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Home Folder Permissions reset

I think Don was referring to the NTFS permissions, not the Share
permissions.  Each admin has to decide whether they want their users to
have
full control to their individual user folders (business may also
dictate).
Yes, full control would allow them to change the permissions on his/her
folder, including removing the local admin group.  From my experience, I

usually do the following for the NTFS permissions:

-For the top-level "Homes" folder (we call it "Users"), we usually just
do
domain users - read/list folder contents plus administrators - full
control
-for the individual user folders, I do administrators - full control and
the
individual user - modify.  I also remove any inherited permissions when
the
folder is originally created, including Creator/Owner.

Regarding share permissions, everyone has a different opinion on this.
Some
go the route of just leaving the share permissions at Everyone - Full
Control and restricting permissions using the NTFS permissions.  Some go
step further and restrict both Share and NTFS permissions.  The thing to

keep in mind is that when combining Share and NTFS permissions, the most

restrictive always wins.  So if Share permissions are set to Everyone -
Full
Control, and NTFS permissions for a certain group are set to read only,
members of that group (assuming they don't have explicit permissions or
are
not members of another group that has more permissions) would have read
only
access.

As for SYSTEM, I did some researching on this a while back, and found
that
for a volume containing only files/folders, it does not appear to be
necessary.  We have removed it from our data volumes without noticing
any
issues at all.

HTH,

James