I'd start with disconnecting from your SonicWall, configuring and
connecting a laptop direct, firewall up of course, and see if you still
see the latency issues.  Assuming you do, you've pretty much eliminated
your network as an issue and need to point the finger at Comcast..

From: Evan Brastow [mailto:ebras...@automatedemblem.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:48 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Loooooong ping times

Hi peoples,

I have a weird issue, and I've had it for about 3 weeks (don't worry,
it's work related!)

Our Internet connection has been really slow. Web sites time out half
the time, and just load really slowly other times.

Our connection is a Comcast connection, and I called then to see if they
could test the speed. They did, and it seemed okay to them, but then
said that we had an old cable modem. They replaced the modem, but it
made no difference.

When I use speedtest.net, or speedtest.comcast.net. I usually get good
throughput times (36 Mbps up, 7 Mbps down) but I get a ping time that is
almost ALWAYS 3146 ms. Sometimes it's 3147, sometimes it's 3145, but
it's 3146 90% of the time. Weird, huh?!

So, I went to my SonicWALL and unchecked the check box that was set to
enable the DHCP server. I thought maybe having two DHCP servers (the
SonicWALL and my own internal DHCP server) was an issue. I don't even
know why the DHCP server was enabled on the firewall.

So I disabled that, and I'm still having the same issue - very long ping
times, though now it's somewhat intermittent. At times, I get a ping
time of 72ms, and the others, it's right back to 3146,

So my question is, where should I be looking to fix this? Essentially, I
have two DNS servers, one DHCP server (not including the SonicWALL,)
Then I have our firewall, and then the cable modem. That's it.

Help? I have no clue how to troubleshoot this.

Evan