On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Tom Miller <tmil...@hnncsb.org> wrote:
> I need to do a one-time clone to new hardware.

  Cloning the disks is easy.  The tricky part is usually the device
driver for the disk controller.  That's often incompatible across
hardware.  So you try to your cloned disk image on new hardware and
get STOP 0x7B, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, during Windows startup.
Windows doesn't make it easy to change boot disk device drivers after
the fact.  There's a procedure you can follow ahead of time to install
the needed driver and then enable it for boot time.  The second part
is critical.  Simply installing the drivers isn't enough.  The driver
needs to be enabled for boot or it won't be loaded yet at the point
the kernel tries to mount the system partition.

  There used to be an MSKB on this, but I can't find it right now.  I
do find articles stating this method is "not supported", so maybe
Microsoft's official stance is you can't do this.  Meh.  That's bogus;
it's straightforward.  The short version is: Install the driver for
the disk controller in the new hardware, and then set the driver's
service startup type to SERVICE_BOOT_START.

  Alternatively, commercial products exist which will let you do this
after-the-fact.  Acronis "Universal Restore" is one I've heard good
things about.

-- Ben