From: Mike Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:46 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: psexec wont' accept login/password to execute locally

I have a Win2003 Std, SP2 server. I have a need to run a batch file that
executes a VBscript as an elevated user. (I didn't write the script).
This batch file gets executed by EMC Networker, as a ore-command before
backing up this server. It turns off services (SourceOne mail
archiving). I have a similar script to re-enable services after backup.

The problem is that Networker executes as a "nobody" user, according to
EMC. So what I need to do is have this script call the VBscript with
elevated privileges, so it can stop the services. But psexec v1.98 is
not working for me, always complaining of an invalid ID and password,
even when I triple-check that everything is entered fine. Note that
"runas" works, but won't allow me to save the password.

Here's a test I just did. psexec did not work, but runas did ...

----------------------
V:\utils\PS Tools>psexec -u u...@domain "cmd /c 'type psversion.txt'"

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Password:
PsExec could not start cmd /c 'type psversion.txt':
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

V:\utils\PS Tools>runas /user:u...@domain "cmd /c 'type psversion.txt'"
Enter the password for u...@domain:
Attempting to start cmd /c 'type psversion.txt' as user "u...@domain" ...

I'm not a VBscripter, so I don't know how to modify the VBscripts
themselves. Nor am I comfortable changing a script from the vendor, for
fearing of screwing something else up.

So: any idea why psexec complains of a login failure, even when I use
the exact same username and password as the "runas" command (which works
fine)? Is there a setting somewhere that is blocking me? I know psexec
is designed more for working on a remote system, but it should work to
do what I need it to do locally, shouldn't it?

Thanks