*>>I'll stand by my statement that opening up the firewall in the proposed
fashion is a very stupid decision, because it doesn't solve the proposed
problem - you might as well not have a firewall at all.
*

So, let's look at the very specific alternative for the situation at hand,
and compare the two security postures:

- Machine in the DMZ which authenticates back into the more secure/trusted
part of the network over 100 ports to a limited set of machines

- Machine in the DMZ with all local authentication

Let's just assume that there are 50 user accounts that need to authenticate.
 We won't even address WHAT this machine is serving up, or who it is serving
it for.  (These are both things the business will care about, but for now
let's just work in abstraction)

In your mind, which of the two scenarios is more secure?  Or, said another
way, if there was a breach of both machines, which would likely cause
greater immediate problems for the organization, and why?

*ASB *(My Bio via About.Me <http://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker/bio>)
 *Exploiting Technology for Business Advantage...*

*
*