From: Candee [mailto:can...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 09:40
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: DHCP reservations explained...

I use static addresses for my servers.

I also have my pool start at say x.x.x.100, so I know the address won't
be assigned elsewhere.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Jonathan <ncm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmmm... interesting concept. I personally prefer static addressing
assigned on each individual server. Though I could see the appeal of
using DHCP, I don't have enough confidence in DHCP to use it for server
addressing. Just my $0.02

On Jan 18, 2011 2:06 PM, "David Lum" <david....@nwea.org> wrote:
> The other day someone commented that it seemed like a bit much that
50% of my 100-ish servers have DHCP reservations - driving home
yesterday I realized another reason why I have it that way (because yes,
I chew on these questions and constantly evaluate why I do some process
or another) - because my fellow SE's have their server monitoring set up
to look at specific IP's instead of hostnames and I am unable to
convince them otherwise. If the server IP changes it hoses their tests
and the dependencies.

> It's not how I set *MY* monitoring up for servers I maintain, but I
have posted that question here in fact and have seen differing opinions
on weather hostname or IP is preferred.