it would maybe be a second or two.  As soon as your internal DNS realizes it doesn't own the zone, it will send to it's first forwarder

-----Stephen Wimberly <riverside...@gmail.com> wrote: -----

To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
From: Stephen Wimberly <riverside...@gmail.com>
Date: 01/29/2011 06:57PM
Subject: DNS latency

I have an Active Directory domain, which means I have my own DNS environment.  For any name resolution that is not in my domain, my DNS server must pass the request up to our ISP for resolution.  Is there a way to measure how long the added delay might be to gain a reply?  In other words how much faster would it be if I were pointing directly at the ISP DNS servers, not my own that forward?

Thanks In Advance!

~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

---
To manage subscriptions click here: http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/read/my_forums/

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any attachment, or any information contained therein, by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Please refer to http://disclaimer.bnymellon.com/eu.htm for certain disclosures relating to European legal entities.