What's the business case for this, and what are the risks?

So far, I don't see enough of a business case vs. the risks.

What's worse is that I don't think that all of the risks have been
thought through or even discovered yet.

Give it about 5 or so years, and we might have a better idea of what
this entails.

Remember the old Texas aphorism: "You can tell the pioneers by the
arrows in their backs"

Kurt