From: Charlie Kaiser [mailto:charl...@golden-eagle.org]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 3:31 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: http://aws.amazon.com/

I've done a bunch of work with the AWS stuff. While it is a good system and
allows for some pretty cool fast provisioning, it's not without its pain
points. When you combine it with the S3 storage and a backup app like
Cloudberry, it can let you do a lot of cool things.
If you are working on web-type stuff that has to be tested from outside, it's
invaluable. You can set it up, firewall it, and let your developers and anyone
else pound on it with no risks to your inside network.
As with any new technology, there are gotchas and plenty things that need to be
done correctly to avoid coffin corners down the road. Doing domain stuff can be
a bit tricky due to time/Kerberos/reboot issues, but I've done it successfully.
If all your access is internal, and you already have a VM infrastructure, you
probably won't gain much. It is neat to be able to spin up a high-performance
server in seconds without worrying about hitting your underlying infrastructure
too hard. But that comes with a $ price, too.

For me, the bottom line is that it is definitely worth a look to see if it
solves a problem...

***********************
Charlie Kaiser
charl...@golden-eagle.org
Kingman, AZ
***********************

My reply was
> "what business requirement does this meet?". We do already have a
> VMWare
lab manager
> which I think does essentially this already.
>

> Bottom line is I was directly asked to comment on it, but I have no
> direct
link in the chain
> of this product getting used or not. I am however in good seats with
people that can
> influence this or not (else that doc wouldn't have made it to me at all).
>
> David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
> NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
> (Desk) 503.548.5229 // (Cell) 503.267.9764

quick turn-
> up/tear-down times.
>

> ASB (My Bio via About.Me <http://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker/bio> )
> Exploiting Technology for Business Advantage...
>

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote:
>
> This just got put in my lap for comments and thoughts. Kneejerk says
> "why
- we already
> have infrastructure here.". Although throwing our developers into this
gets them off
> "my" environment that, while appealing, isn't the right reason to
> consider
such an action.