From: James Hill [mailto:james.h...@superamart.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 20:06
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Some thoughts for your DR Plan

We now have the majority of things restored and up and running.  Below are
just some initial thoughts and ideas that I wanted to share with the list.
It is in no way any form of DR plan nor is it meant to indicate what we did
or didn't have.  It's simply my experiences from our recent DR experience
written down for the benefits of others.

Some or none of this may apply to you.  I certainly do not regard myself as
any form of DR expert nor am I the first to have been through a real DR
experience.  However if I am able to provide any info that can assist others
than I am more than happy to do so.

.        Don't ever think it can't happen, it can.

.        You do need a DR location, a live one if possible.  Convince
management of this!

.        Build redundancy into your designs of everything.  Thanks to this
all our stores were able to continue to trade even though the data centre
was under water.

.        If you have something in your environment that isn't in your backup
schedule, add it now, no matter how small it may be.

.        Consider that staff with specific duties in your DR plan may not be
able to assist as they are tending to their own personal issues or physical
access is simply not available.

.        Services you take for granted may simply be not available.  There
were power outages (some for weeks) and communication network outages.
Phone systems quickly become overloaded in a Disaster, especially
mobile/cell networks.

.        Make allowance for the following in your DR location(for relocation
of office staff)

o   Furniture for staff

o   Computers and comms

o   Power, can the circuits handle the extra load you will be adding to the
site?

o   Bandwidth

o   Air conditioning/heating

.        Have remote visibility of your data centre and its surroundings

o   A camera or two would have shown us the level of the water and we could
have saved much more equipment.

.        Add sensors to your data centre that shuts off the power if water
is detected.

.        Exchange cached mode and offline files provide quick access to much
critical information.

.        Keep critical infrastructure/server build/networking documentation
in multiple places.

o   I had a recent backup at my personal residence.  It was invaluable in
the early stages of our Recovery.

.        Data restores

o   Do test restores regularly.  Environments change all the time and maybe
something hasn't been added to the backup list for that server.

o   Ensure that you can retrieve critical data quickly.  Restores take time.

o   Tapes - do anything to avoid them, if you have to use them have multiple
tape drives available so that restores can be conducted more quickly.

o   Have backup backup servers.  Especially with the tape catalogues
available.  We saw cataloguing of tapes take 14 hours plus.

o   Have an offsite location authorised as a delivery point with your
Offsite Tape holder.

.        Check your emotions at the door.  Remain calm and logical, consider
others needs.  The people that are true leaders(that doesn't necessarily
mean all Managers) should be running the show.  Everyone else will be
looking to them for guidance.

.        Fire and water make fantastic servants, they are horrible masters.

James.