From: Andrew S. Baker [mailto:asbz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:32 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Intel pulls a fast one in Sandy Bridge fiasco | Processors -
InfoWorld

I'll bet it's more nuanced than that.

Intel gets the benefit of public disclosure of a big and costly problem,
BUT, at the 11th hour, the "business realities" of their OEM partners
"forces" them to continue shipping the defective product, but only to select
partners.

Now, you have to ask yourself the following:

-- Are the other partners willing to lose market share by waiting for
properly remediated motherboards before they ship the cool and exciting
product?

-- Will the OEMs label the product accordingly, or physically prevent the
use of the slots in question so there are no customer surprises later on?

-- Just how many motherboards will Intel actually have to recall when all is
said and done?

So much for an almost $billion recall.  They have thus far averted a costly
disaster rather nicely.

ASB (Find me online via About.Me <http://about.me/Andrew.S.Baker/bio> )
Exploiting Technology for Business Advantage...

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Matthew W. Ross <mr...@ephrataschools.org>