If you're going to be traveling a lot, I recommend one of the
TSA "Checkpoint friendly" ones.  I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag for regular
use and one of these for when I have to travel:
http://www.skoobadesign.com/shop-by-category/checkpoint-friendly-laptop-bags?gclid=CJKB5paUv6cCFc885QodTzSrOA

They are usually pretty expensive, but I got mine at Woot.com for around
$35.

I also have a 10 year old Targus laptop backpack that is tough as nails, but
I don't use it anymore b/c it is fairly big and my laptop these days
is pretty small.