On 10 Mar 2011 at 12:45, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2011 at 8:37, Oliver Marshall  wrote:
>
> >     Can anyone recommend a hard disk checking tool for Windows that will
> > give an external disk a
> >     good going over? Ideally free/open source J
> >
> >     We have 8 disks from a server that have apparently failed but we
> > believe it´s the raid card. To
> >     be sure we need to thoroughly check the disks before sending them back.
>
> Not free or open-source, but I use SpinRite from grc.com.  $89/license, 4
> licenses gets you a site-license.

I have managed to recover data off failed disks more than once using SpinRite.
Don't try to
run it on a USB drive, though,  Mount the drive internally and boot from the
SpinRite CD
(downloadable as an ISO after you purchase it).  Moneyback license if it
doesn't work for you,
so all you're out is the time.

Angus