The best part of rooting for most people is that you can use it on any
carrier.  This is very important to us in the US who are f'd by the current
cell service monopolies.

Second best would be that you can then install and or do whatever the heck
you want with the device.  Although I think Android already lets you install
apps without requiring a certificate, rooting will let you go many steps
further in modifying or replacing the built-in OS.

--
ME2