On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Mike Leone <oozerd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, this drive is mostly empty, too, so there's not a boatload of
> files to read through and verify. And it's at the "Checking free space"
> stage now, for 2 hours. So it *should* be done by the time I either go
> to bed, or wake up tomorrow.

  If you're getting "Checking files" and "Checking free space", then
you've run CHKDSK with the /R switch.  (Or something else ran it that
way.)  /R tells CHKDSK to do read verification of the entire
partition.  "Checking free space" means it is reading every block on
the LUN that isn't being used for something else.  So the fact that
the drive is empty won't help you.

-- Ben