I think the norm is as follows;

Mileage is counted from office to customer site. Rate of mileage
reimbursement normally is around $.48 per mile, or what the IRS allows.
(Some companies pay less, but you can deduct the difference on your Federal
Taxes.)
If the Field Rep goes from house to customer site, subtract 10 miles, (some
subtract 30 miles) from their daily mileage. Some companies do not allow you
to include the mileage from home to first customer site. Just site to site.

I have never worked for a company that provided a Monthly Gas Allowance.
Some companies are a bit leery about providing that, as the amount they
provide may not fully cover the amount of gas that you really use for
business purposes. From what I have encountered, though, a Monthly Gas
Allowance is an option normally given to the sales force of a company, as
they may 'see' clients, and perspective clients on a day to day basis.
Whereas the service force will do more mileage based upon the amount of
calls that they do per day and where they have to go to perform service.

Hope that helps. Others?