From: Mike Leone [mailto:oozerd...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, 11 April 2011 8:55 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Q about multi-site SQL cluster

On 4/9/2011 9:15 PM, Brian Desmond wrote:
> Your boss is not understanding something or another correctly.
>
> Paying your SAN people to do the replication required here is going to cost
> you a lot of money. I'd suggest you revisit mirroring.

It's not the mirroring he's confused about, it's how do do the routine
maintenance.

What he needs to know: you have 2 nodes in site #1, and 2 nodes in site #2. You
have one node in site #1 that needs maintenance (BIOS upgrade, Windows updates,
etc), the documentation only shows one scenario - failing the whole cluster
fails over to the other site.

But that's not what we're talking about - how do we fail over the cluster
resources to the other node in this *same* site. Failing the whole cluster over
to the other site is a big deal. What we're confused about is how to do what we
do now, with our non-multi-site clusters - fail the cluster and it's resources
to node #2; pause node #1 so we can apply whatever patches and reboots that it
needs, then fail the cluster resources back to node #1.

All within this same site. We don't want to fail over to the other site, just
failover *within*  this site.

Hope that's clearer.