I am in the middle of doing this as well and went with a Dell E-6520 maxed
out on RAM, CPU, and video.  It will come in about $2k US.  I will also be
getting an e-SATA drive setup (most likely a build my own as it will allow
me to replace the drive later) to put all the VM's and Virtual manager
server and direct boot from the e-SATA.  If you have the extra money I would
look at a Dell Precision laptop.  You can get a lot more RAM but the cost of
the base machine is much higher.

Jon