MacDefender sounds like a hamburger...

>>> "Matthew W. Ross" <mr...@ephrataschools.org> 5/25/2011 11:24 AM >>>
> From: David Lum
> I am using this news:
> http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/02/intego-security-memo-macdefender-fake-antivirus/
>
> to leverage a "we really need to manage our Mac OS's like we do Windows"
> argument that I've had for some time. We have a couple dozen Mac OS's here
> and none of them are managed the same way we do Windows machines.

Apple has let it be known that they are on top of this, and will include a
patch to rid all macs of MacDefender in particular. This isn't an answer to
your question, it's more FYI. (See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4650 for more
details.)

> Do any of you manage (or work with folks that manage) multiple Mac OS
> machines? Ideally something that can do GPO-ish and SMS-ish kinds of things.
> Specially patch and protect.

Apple doesn't do antivirus (see contradiction above), so you will have to go to
a 3rd party for that. (Sophos is our chosen solution as it is centrally managed
and covers Windows, Mac and Linux.)

Apple does support management of desktops, but (as usual with the "we know how
to do it better than everybody else" mindset) only with Apple products. The
prescribed solution is to use Open Directory, which means you need a mac
running Mac OS X Server.

Open Directory and it's Workgroup Management is equivalent to Active Directory
Users and Computers and Group Policy. While not quite as flexible, you can get
your Macs to behave how you want.

As for patch management, there are 3rd party Mac compatible patch management
available, but Apple solution is Software Update Server. It's part of Mac OS X
Server. Disney (of all companies) released an open source SUS clone for linux
platforms, saving you the requirement of a Mac OS X Server... look here for
details on Repsosado: https://github.com/wdas/reposado

Last, workstation support is done using the excellent Apple Remote Desktop.
It's now $80 per admin (unlimited clients) and available through the Mac App
store. It used to be $500, and it was well worth it then. I wish there was an
equivalent for Windows that was just as cheap.

> Additionally, does anyone have any experience with this product?
> http://www.likewise.com/solutions/mac_linux_desktop_management/index.php

Likewise, Centrify and AdmitMAC are all products that try to get your Macs to
respond to Windows AD group policies... essentially trying to get your Macs to
behave more like Windows machines. I am not familiar with these, so dig deeper
if you are interested.

----

We have been re-evaluating the Mac platform as of late, especially in light of
the new proprietary hardware which they seem to be moving towards. (See
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/apple-restricts-hard-drive-replacements-on-new-imacs/
 for more info on this.)  I love well designed hardware. I love the pursuit of
newer, innovative, different and better ways to do things which apple is not
afraid to do. What I don't like is uncertainty (Apple loves their secrets) and
unserviceable hardware.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District