From: Mike Gill [mailto:lis...@canbyfoursquare.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:57 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: System Restore and Scareware

Saw this the other day:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/05/20/2334259/New-Malware-Simulates-Ha
rd-Drive-Failure

--
Mike Gill

From: Bob Hartung [mailto:bhart...@wiscoind.com]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 12:47 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: System Restore and Scareware

I've had a couple of recent cases of scareware infecting some Windows XP
Pro systems here. One reported lots of virus infestations and prevented
the user from accessing the internet and, for a low price, would fix
all. The other reported that the hard drive had tons of errors and the
boot sector was gone, etc. And for a small fee, their utility could fix
it. This system was unusable.

Maybe this is pretty basic but I haven't seen mention of it but in both
cases, Window's System Restore easily removed both. I've seen
descriptions of fixing infected systems involving fairly complex
procedures and multiple utilities. I guess I just wanted to recommend
giving System Restore a try first before resorting to the heavy
artillery.

On the system that had the failed hard drive scareware, it was
impossible to access System Restore in normal windows. I figured Safe
Mode was the way to go but I discovered System Restore is not available
in Safe Mode. I did learn that you can run System Restore in Safe Mode
with Command Prompt. Just enter
"%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" at the command prompt and
you're in System Restore. Not sure why regular Safe Mode wouldn't have
that command available.

Hope that's of help to someone else.

Bob Hartung
Wisco Industries, Inc.