From: Joseph Heaton [mailto:jhea...@dfg.ca.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:05 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: TMG going away?

From what I read, nothing.  They're complementary products.  One thought
was that TMG would be rolled up into UAG, another was that TMG would
move to the "cloud", and undergo another name change.

>>> Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> 06/28/11 10:57 AM >>>
So, I have to wonder: what impact might that have on UAG?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 09:59, Joseph Heaton <jhea...@dfg.ca.gov> wrote:
> Ok, so I've been doing a little more digging on this (for anyone using
> TMG and are concerned about this):
>
> In a Gartner report the following text was included:
>
> “Microsoft has informed Gartner that it does not plan to ship another
> full version release of its SWG product, the Forefront Threat
Management
> Gateway (TMG). The product is effectively in sustaining mode, with
> Microsoft continuing to ship Service Pack (SP) updates; the next one,
> SP2, is planned for 3Q11. Microsoft will also continue to support TMG
> for the standard support life cycle — five years of mainstream support
> and five years of extended support. In the SWG category, TMG will
become
> less competitive over time, since Microsoft’s goal is not to compete
> head-to-head with other vendors in that space. We believe that
Microsoft

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/the-demise-of-threat-management-gateway-is-microsoft-backing-away-from-the-edge/4387

> Also, Kent Nordstrom has the following:
>
> http://blog.konab.com/2011/05/what-will-happen-with-tmg/
>
> Doesn't look like Microsoft has come out too much officially, other
than
> to say they will continue with Service Pack 2, and the normal 5 year
> mainstream, 5 year extended maintenance.

> I heard a rumor yesterday (while in my TMG class by the way) that TMG
is
> no longer being developed.  Anyone know anything about this?  Dr. Tom
> around to confirm/deny this?  Kinda stinks, as that's the direction
> we're pointing at the moment.

> To manage subscriptions click here:

> To manage subscriptions click here:

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information transmitted, or contained or
attached to or with this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain Protected Health Information (PHI),
confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, and taking any action in reliance upon this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient without
the express written consent of the sender are prohibited. This information may
be protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
(HIPAA), and other Federal and Florida laws. Improper or unauthorized use or
disclosure of this information could result in civil and/or criminal penalties.
 Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really
need to.