I've seen permission issues with the Nuke cache causing freezes such as
this. Nuke defaults the cache in /var/tmp on osx which is owned by
root/wheel and typically defaults to 755.  You might be having similar
issues on linux?

I would move it somewhere else and make sure the permission are kosher for
the user.