Not sure if this will work for you, but our write nodes always use the name of
the script to generate the write name, including relative paths from the
script. This means the user never enters anything in the write node and the
writes are always a product of the script name. We also allow nuke to auto
generate directories if they don’t exist, so renders don’t fail for missing
output paths. So something like this:

[file dirname [value root.name]]/../renders/nuke/[lindex [split [lindex [split
[value root.name] /] end] .] 0]/[lindex [split [lindex [split [value root.name]
/] end] .] 0].%04d.exr

will generate a directory based on the name of the script, and then put the
renders inside with the file names also based on the script.

Gary Jaeger / 650.728.7957 direct / 415.518.1419 mobile