We have a client who is projecting our film onto a 360 degree cylindrical
wall around the viewer. It's a slow crane up (Well, drone, actually - the
total height change is about half a kilometer) in a city and, from what I
hear from those who have seen our test versions in the room, it's quite
impressive.

That said, I'm hesitant to say that this kind of stuff, even if it were on
a headset, is really "VR" - just being able to look at different parts of
what is basically just a sphere wrapped around you seems of limited appeal
to me (despite what I just said above, which I think is basically just
'impressive' as a gimmick). The real sense of "presence" can only be
obtained by a) stereoscopy in whatever you're looking at and b) a pretty
accurate interaction with your head movement. This means parallax, which
also means real time and to an extent interactivity (insomuch as you're
moving the camera, not simply nodally panning around a sphere).

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Marten Blumen <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> VR == 'Vast Retouching'
>
> Latlong blur == machine slows down to photoshop gaussian blur speed, circa
> mid '90s.
>
> On 25 October 2016 at 20:25, Mads Lund <madshl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have always been a bit sceptical about the whole "VR Video/Film" and
>> was hoping some of the talks at VR on the Lot would bring something new to
>> the table, but all the great experiences seem to revolve around gaming and
>> interactivity, and that is also the area where i have been most involved in.
>>
>> So i am wondering if any one you guys have had any interesting
>> experiences with non-interactive VR.

Dan Grover
3D Technical Director
www.dan-grover.com