There was a VR film fest that came through town last year, sponsored by
Samsung so it was heavily GearVR based.

As a movie purist, it was kind of frightening to see 30 people sitting in a
row with headsets on - a sobering glimpse of the future although I suppose
we'd all be in our homes wired up to the internet for the most part.

This was slightly better organized than the road shows that seemed to be
making the rounds at like Sundance and Siggraph.  Was cool to play them
against each other, as they had the full range of films on tap - from more
gimmicky older fare like Butts on up to, oh I don't know what was most
memorable, maybe that 360 VR documentary narrated by Susan Sarandon about
the Nepal earthquake.  It was interesting to feel that rubble and
devastation all around you.  I found myself holding my breath during the
dust storm part of it when they were walking through the area as the
buildings had freshly been taken down.  As someone who was in NYC for 9/11,
it got me a little bit.  Yikes.

There was a local company here in Portland that had done a really nice
"white water rafting through the Grand Canyon" experience.  And
Widen+Kennedy was there and had a few impressive VR demos they'd done as an
agency - one was a tour of a new Chrysler vehicle that fused a lot of
footage from inside the car on an assembly line - quite cool.  Probably my
favorite of theirs was a Nike ad for Neymar Jr (I think it's here on youtube
360 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGx1mWonsh8> if you want to get an
idea) that actually gave me a little adrenaline tingle when he (as you)
scores the goal in the end and the stadium goes berzerk.  It was a while
ago now but I think they worked with Digital Domain on that one and it was
an early test of the pipeline over there.  Looks very nice on a proper
GearVR setup and not just a browser window.   Was an interesting design
choice to paint out the head of the player when you look down and see your
"body."

Yes for the most part it's all just a big first person gamer sort of world
they're crafting, but some of the early work is getting a lot of it right.
Keeps going in this direction and they'll have to replace that sign above
the door at Pixar that says "Story is king" with an "Experience is king."

There's also a lot of really bad technical examples out there where the
stitching is just pulling you out of it constantly.  Will be good when that
goes away.

I'd love to see more sports experiences being offered - heck I'd pay $40 or
$50 to have a live 360 stream of the NBA finals from courtside that I could
watch from home.  I wanna see a hot rodded superbowl simulcast from the 50
yard line (or other locations I can switch to), etc.  That needs to happen
NOW.