Answering my own question: it seems part of the issue is that the input
image needs BlackOutside - I think I knew that from ages ago? We are doing
a per pixel filtering operation (like Convolve), so that makes some sense.
Also, I know there were some nice BlinkScript bug fixes in 10.0v4 so maybe
there is a vast performance difference in certain situations.