In film terms it would be underexpose down to nothing while simultaneously exposing from
nothing up to full exposure on the incoming clip and just adding the two results together.
So use "Add" to move the whole range from 0 > negative and vice versa for the
incoming.

I think you would need to be in log space though and you would have to have
some kind of soft clip to limit the negative blacks.

In linear space though I dont see why multing down to zero and the reverse with
an add wouldnt be an equivalant but this is all untested on my part ...
---
Andrew Mumford