On 9/18/06, Bill Baxter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 9/19/06, Charles R Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Bill Baxter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I find myself often wanting both the max and the argmax of an array.
> > (And same for the other arg* functions)

> > You have to do something like
> >     a = rand(10,5)
> >     imax = a.argmax(axis=0)
> >     vmax = a[(imax, range(5))]
> >
> I don't generally like overloading return values, the function starts to
> lose its definition and becomes a bit baroque where simply changing a
> keyword value can destroy the viability of the following code.

Agreed.  Seems like the only justification is if you get multiple
results from one calculation but only rarely want the extra values.
It doesn't make sense to always return them, but it's also not worth
making a totally different function.

> But I can see the utility of what you want. Hmm,  this problem is not unique to argmax.
> Maybe what we need is a general way to extract values, something like
>
> extract(a, imax, axis=0)
>
> to go along with all the single axis functions.

Yes, I think that would be easier to remember.

It should also work for the axis=None case.
  imax = a.argmax(axis=None)
  v = extract(a, imax, axis=None)

It shouldn't be too difficult to jig something up given all the example code. I can do that, but I would like more input first. The questions I have are these.

1) Should it be done?
2) Should it be a method? (functions being somewhat deprecated)
3) What name should it have?

I think Travis will have to weigh in on this. IIRC, he felt that the number of methods was getting out of hand.

--Bill

Chuck