On 9/19/06, Francesc Altet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A Dimarts 19 Setembre 2006 07:18, Charles R Harris va escriure:
> I note that argsort also produces indexes that are hard to use in the
> ndim>1 case.

Perhaps it is worth to mention here that I've always liked to have a sort()
and argsort() functionality merged in one shot function (or method). Having
both separated implies two sorts, while if I'd have such a combo available,
the resulting operation would take quite less time.

Do you want both the indexes and index sorted array returned, or just sort the array using indexes, i.e., something like

a.sort(kind="quicksort", method="indirect")

IIRC, the old numeric argsort actually did something like this under the covers but discarded the sorted array.

One can easily stablish kind of a pattern for situations where this could
happen: in all the 'arg*()' functions. Perhaps I'm wrong in my count, but
there appear to be only three of such functions in NumPy, namely, argmax,
argmin and argsort. Adding three additional 'combos' doesn't seem a lot to my
mind, but it can be just 'too much' for more common sense minds.

Chuck