On 10/22/06, Charles R Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/21/06, Bill Baxter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Here's something I've been wondering: is it ok to port Matlab
> > functions over to python?  If so, then it's maybe an afternoon's work
> > to get eigs working, given eigs.m and python Arpack wrappers.
> > [...]
>
> I haven't the faintest idea. What did the EULA say? What about a copyright?
> This sounds like a job for a lawyer, but I would guess it would be a bad
> idea unless the code is from a third party with a free license.

Gee, there's an idea.  :-)

---- from License.txt ----
"Except as expressly provided by this Agreement, including the
attached Addendum, Licensee may not adapt, translate, or convert
"M-files", "MDL-files" or "P-code" contained in the Programs in
order to create software, a principal purpose of which is to
perform the same or similar functions as Programs licensed by
MathWorks or which is intended to replace any component of the
Programs.  The Licensee may not incorporate or use "M-files",
"P-code", source code, or any other part of the Programs in or
as part of another computer program without the consent of
MathWorks.  A Licensed User may modify pieces of MathWorks' code
for the Licensed User's own use.  A Licensed User may share such
modified code with others provided each recipient is also a
Licensed User for the original form of the code. "

So. If you're a Matlab licensee it would be ok to use it in your own
stuff, but putting it in Numpy is definitely out of the question.

--bb