I realize this was probably brought up in the discussions about the scipy
code of conduct which I have not looked at, but I’m troubled by the
inclusion of “political beliefs” in the document.

See e.g.
https://github.com/jupyter/governance/pull/5

As a thought experiment, what if someone’s political beliefs imply that
other contributors are not deserving of human rights? Increasingly ideas
like this are coming into the mainstream worldwide and I think this is a
real concern that should be considered.