> I don’t have index when I read in the data. I just want to slice two series
> to the same length, and subtract. That’s it!
>
> I also don’t what numpy methods wrapped within methods. They work, but hard
> do understand.
>
> How would you do it? In Matlab or R, it’s very simple, one line.

Why are you using pandas at all? If you want the Matlab equivalent, use NumPy
from the beginning (or as soon as possible). I personally agree with you that
pandas is too verbose, which is why I mostly use NumPy for this kind of
arithmetic, and reserve pandas for advanced data table type functionality (like
groupbys and joining on indices).

As you saw yourself, a.values[1:4] - b.values[0:3] works great. If you read in
your data into NumPy from the beginning, it’ll be a[1:4] - b[0:3] just like in
Matlab. (Or even better: a[1:] - b[:-1]).