Since it probably got lost. I am currently developing things at:

https://github.com/seberg/numpy/tree/dtypemeta

Please do not expect the tidiest code at the moment. The public API is
not yet available, and currently mainly at a proof-of-concept stage,
that things like:
* Promotion
* Casting
* Array creation – coercion `np.array(...)` (fairly far along)
* AbstractDTypes for value based casting

work. Also of course generally having a DTypeMeta class and "<f8" being
a subclass of a Float64 class working well.

The largest missing point are that UFuncs need to be resturctured for
new DTypes to be useful to the user. Until then, the only gain we have
is structuring some code better.

Most of the time it should build and run (currently all, in the future
maybe most) tests fine. I may force push occasionally (if just to
rebase on master).

If you would like direct push access just send me a mail.

Maybe a side note: datetimes work of course, and they have a unit
attached to them, so are a simple version of a "unit dtype" proof-of-
concept.

Best,

Sebastian