On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 17:35 -0600, Sebastian Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 12:51 -0800, Stephan Hoyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 11:16 AM Ralf Gommers <
> > ralf.gomm...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 4:56 PM Sebastian Berg <
> > > sebast...@sipsolutions.net>

> > > The old PR had this in the lib.stride_tricks namespace. Seeing it
> > > in the
> > > main namespace is unexpected and likely will lead to
> > > issues/questions,
> > > given that such an overlapping view is going to do behave in ways
> > > the
> > > average user will be surprised by. It may also lead to requests
> > > for
> > > other
> > > array/tensor libraries to implement this. I don't see any
> > > discussion on
> > > this in PR 17394, it looks like a decision by the PR author that
> > > no
> > > one
> > > commented on - reconsider that?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Ralf
> > >

> > +1 let's keep this in the lib.stride_tricks namespace.
> >

> I have no reservations against having it in the main namespace and am
> happy either way (it can still be exposed later in any case). It is
> the
> conservative choice and maybe it is an uncommon enough function that
> it
> deserves being a bit hidden...

In any case, its the safe bet for NumPy 1.20 at least so I opened a PR:

    https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/17720

Name changes, etc. are also possible of course.

I still think it might be nice to find a better place for this type of
function that `np.lib.stride_tricks` though, but dunno...

- Sebastian