The HTML docs can also be downloaded for offline use.

HTML documentation isn't easy to navigate on anything other than a laptop / tablet. It also makes it confusing when there isn't an internet connection because of the external links. Also it is hard (subjectively) to read in order.

Also more subjective points:
- A PDF can be annotated
- A PDF can be bookmarked
- A PDF has a separate reading app / device from browsing
- A PDF can be printed out (yes sometimes this might still be useful)

Perhaps someone has access to analytics from [numpy.org](http://numpy.org) that can tell us how often the PDF docs are viewed?

It would be interesting to see the comparison between the downloads of the offline HTML documentation and the PDF documentation.

I don't think it's worth the trouble of the separate rendering pipeline for a relatively niche use-case.

We might end up going that way, but it would be a shame IMO. Though splitting it out might be useful. Python documentation is packaged into chapters which are self contained and reasonably readable. We should strive for the same.

As we move increasingly towards different kinds of content (blogs/notebooks/tutorials), I think we should try to keep all users in mind and PDF generation is hardly on its way out in any language / library.

--- Rohit