On 23/5/22 01:51, Rohit Goswami wrote:

Being very hard to read should not be reason enough to stop generating them. In places with little to no internet connectivity often the PDF documentation is invaluable.

I personally use the PDF documentation both on my phone and e-reader when I travel simply because it is more accessible and has better search capabilities.

It is true that SciPy has removed them, but that doesn't necessarily mean we need to follow suit. Especially relevant (IMO) is that large parts of the NumPy documentation still make sense when read sequentially (going back to when it was at some point partially kanged from Travis' book).

I'd be happy to spend time (and plan to) working on fixing concrete issues other than straw-man and subjective arguments.

Personally I'd like to see the NumPy documentation have PDFs in a fashion where each page / chapter can be downloaded individually.

-- Rohit

P.S.: If we have CI timeout issues, for the PDF docs we could also have a dedicated repo and only build for releases.

P.P.S: FWIW the Python docs are also still distributed in PDF form.