On Thu, Jul 4, 2024, at 08:18, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> I wish it for be common sense for contributors to an open source
> codebase that they need to own the copyright on their contributions, but
> I don't think it can be assumed. Adding something to these lines to the
> project policy has also the potential to educate the contributions about
> the pitfalls of using AI to autocomplete their contributions.

The ultimate concern is whether GPL code lands in your open source project.
Will instructions to the author, that they need to make sure they own copyright
to their code, indemnify the project? I don't think so. You also cannot enforce
such an instruction. At best, you can, during review, try and establish whether
the author understands the code they provided; and I hope, where code of any
complexity is involved, that that should be reasonably obvious.

You'll see we've grappled with this in scikit-image as well:
https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/pull/7429

Stéfan