Joris De Ridder wrote:
> A related question, just out of curiosity: is there a technical
> reason why Numpy has been coded in C rather than C++?

There was a fair bit of discussion about this back when the numarray
project started, which was a re-implementation of the original Numeric.

IIRC, one of the drivers was that C++ support was still pretty
inconsistent across compilers and OSs, particularly if you wanted to
really get the advantages of C++, by using templates and the like.

It was considered very important that the numpy code base be very portable.

C++ compilers have gotten better an more standards compliant, but as a
recent thread shows, folks still want to build numpy with older
compilers and libs, so the reasoning still holds.

Too bad, in a way, I suspect a well-designed C++ numpy could make it
easier to write compiled extensions, which would be pretty nice.

Of course, it should be possible to write C++ wrappers around the core
ND-array object, if anyone wants to take that on!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]