Hi,

   I am happy to announce a second milestone in scons support in numpy.
This one is much bigger than the first one, since now I can build the
whole numpy using scons (e.g. distutils is not used at all to build non
python code).

How to use it:
==============

just do as before for installing numpy: python setup.py build

To use parrallel builds: python setup scons --jobs=4 build

Windows build does not work yet, but this should be easy to fix. Do not
use it for practical purpose, though: I have not yet tackled the problem
of optimization flags, nor the detection of blas/lapack.

What has been done:
===================

Some of the things which are now possible:
   - any module can be customized wrt build options (warning flags,
etc...). This can be done per object file, also, with a bit some work.
   - for numpy.core (which took 95 % of my time for this milestone), all
the generated code is integrated in the scons dependency graph. I don't
know how distutils handled this, but if you change a txt file, or a
header, scons will rebuilt the necessary things (the dependencies are
found automatically). I also cleanup up some things (done in a separate
svn branch).
   - Numpy configuration is also totally integrated into scons config
framework, which makes the thing more understandable, I hope.

and of course, everything possible with scons is now available. Some
other nice advantages which I did not think about at first:

   - parallel builds: since scons supports parrallel builds, I thought
it would be interesting to support it in distutils. This was trivial to
add, and this largely alleviates the cost added by using scons in the
first place. For scipy, my guess would be that it could significantly
reduce the build time (whereas numpy build time is mostly spent
compiling one or two big files).

So basically, I believe most of the things planned in
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/DistutilsRevamp are now
available because they are available in scons, if numpy developers
decide to follow the scons route. Before being usable, I need to finish
fortran support and blas/lapack/atlas detection: once this is done,
numpy should be able to support some platforms not supported yet (intel
compiler on windows, sun compiler with performance libraries, etc...),
which was the reason I started this work in the first place.

cheers,

David